The Petrus estate derives its name from a village called "Petrus". Its history is recent and yet this wine is already a legend. Throughout the nineteenth century the area belonged to the Arnaud family. In 1925, a woman from the Libourne region, Ms. Loubat, takes shares in the property. Twenty years later she is the sole owner. Understanding that the wines of the Medoc sell for more than wines of Pomerol, in particular her wines, she did everything she could to take advantage of such a promising terroir. In a few decades the myth was born. In 1961, Mrs Lacoste and Mr. Lignac, niece and nephew of Mrs. Loubat inherit the estate.The vineyard is based on the highest hill of the designation, culminating at an altitude of 40 meters. The soil consists mainly of clay which is well suited to Merlot which constitutes 95% of the plantings. The 12 hectares are the subject of constant work and a constant obsession with détail. It is thought that Pétrus is more accessible to tasting than some of its illustrious colleagues..